We started the day in Dalhart, TX, and decided to chase the northern threat up through eastern Colorado. We had breakfast at the Cattleman’s Stockyard Café, which was fantastic. It was busy, as there was an auction happening in the back half of the building.
We headed north up US-385 until we reached Lamar, CO. From there, we headed east on US-50 after a few storms that were firing over the Front Range.
From there, we pushed west, but then stopped to watch a storm rising from the south.
While I was there, I noticed my tire was wearing bald. I know I need tie rod ends, and that may happen after the chase, but today, I will deal with the front tires.
We continued to La Junta, CO, and then intended to quit chasing for the day almost- just follow the storms north towards Broomfield. This worked for a while, but storms intensified on both sides of us.
At Limon, CO, we had just a few brief minutes to get ahead of a hail core on I-70, which we were able to do.
However, the boundary continued to fire new storms, including one that was going to catch us at Deer Trail, CO. We refueled and took shelter under the gas pump overhang at Deer Trail.
…a radar grab from this storm:
There was some small hail, tons of rain and some rotation overhead.
After a few intense moments, the storm crossed I-70 and weakened, giving us a chance to continue west, and then north up to Broomfield. We had dinner at the Lazy Dog again and called it a night.
There were several clusters of storms, including some tornadoes near Clovis, but they were out of play for us. Here is the SPC Storm Report image for the day.
This was our route:
…and here was my route according to APRS.fi.
Thank you for reading my post.