Central New Mexico Weather: 8/9/22

Yesterday was warm and mostly sunny in Magdalena. When I returned home to Rio Rancho, it was mild and humid. We went for a walk around the neighborhood.

This morning, the weather is partly cloudy, mild and still in Rio Rancho. My weather station in Rio Rancho says:

The NWS in Albuquerque, NM, forecasts (for Rio Rancho, NM) a mostly sunny day, with a 40% chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms and a high temperature of 90 F. The winds will be light and variable, becoming southeasterly at 5-10 mph in the afternoon. This evening will be mostly cloudy, with a 20% chance of isolated showers and thunderstorms, and a low temperature of 65 F. The winds will be from the east at 5-10 mph.

The NWS in Albuquerque, NM, forecasts (for Socorro, NM) a mostly sunny day, with a 40% chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms and a high temperature of 92 F. The winds will be from the north at 5-10 mph, becoming southeasterly in the afternoon. This evening will be mostly cloudy, with a 30% chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms and a low temperature of 66 F. The winds will be from the southeast at 5-15 mph, becoming northwesterly after midnight.

The NWS in Albuquerque, NM, forecasts (for Magdalena, NM) a partly sunny day, with a 60% chance of showers and thunderstorms and a high temperature of 81 F. The winds will be from the northwest at 5-10 mph, becoming southeasterly in the afternoon. This evening will be mostly cloudy, with a 40% chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms and a low temperature of 60 F. The winds will be from the southeast at 5-10 mph, becoming westerly after midnight.

The NWS in Albuquerque, NM, forecasts (for Mountainair, NM) a mostly sunny day, with a 50% chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms and a high temperature of 81 F. The winds will be from the northeast at 5-10 mph, becoming southerly in the afternoon. This evening will be mostly cloudy, with a 20% chance of isolated showers and thunderstorms, and a low temperature of 57 F. The winds will be from the southeast at 10-15 mph, decreasing to 5-10 mph after midnight.

The NWS in Albuquerque, NM, has issued several Flash Flood Watches scattered around the state. The NWS Watches and Warnings graphic is shown below:

The visible satellite imagery is unavailable at this time. The enhanced infrared imagery shows some lingering clouds left over from yesterday’s showers and thunderstorms.

The upper-level water vapor imagery shows ample moisture over the region.

The 12Z upper air sounding from Albuquerque, NM, is unavailable at this time.

The SPC Mesoscale Analysis Surface Map shows mild, humid weather, with a mix of stations reporting clear skies and cloudy skies (according to the sensors). The winds are light and variable.

The SPC Mesoscale Analysis Pressure Map shows we are under slightly higher pressure, but no strong pressure gradients this morning. The RAP shows the pressure will drop with diurnal heating, but no strong pressure gradients are expected to develop over the next six hours.

The NAM 250 mb chart shows light, northeasterly flow.

The NAM 700 mb and 850 mb charts show no strong thermal advection over the state today. These charts have been excluded from today’s post.

The Nested NAM simulated reflectivity shows isolated showers and thunderstorms are possible this afternoon.

The Nested NAM precipitation chart shows rain is possible everywhere, though it is less likely in the southeastern corner of the state.

The Nested NAM temperature chart predicts that the high temperatures for the middle Rio Grande River Valley will reach the lower 90s F.

The Nested NAM also predicts shows the low temperatures are expected to drop into the upper 60s F.

The Nested NAM dewpoint chart shows that the dewpoints will remain in the 50s F.

The Nested NAM wind prediction chart shows strong winds are unlikely today. This chart has been excluded from today’s post.

The Nested NAM simulated infrared chart shows skies will remain partly to mostly cloudy in the northwestern half of the state.

Today will be warm, with a few afternoon showers and thunderstorms possible. The NWS says today has the highest chances of showers and thunderstorms all week, but the NAM isn’t showing it- yesterday should have been a bigger storm day. The NAM does show the decrease in coverage through the rest of the week, however.

I will spend most of the day inside, but will commute to Socorro this morning.

The forecasts from the National Weather Service are from The NWS Homepage. The upper air soundings and mesoscale analysis plots are from the Storm Prediction Center website. The satellite data, model data, and forecasted soundings are from College of DuPage – SATRAD

About highplainschasing

This blog is about my tales in storm chasing. My name is Seth Price and I am an instrumentation instructor at New Mexico Tech. My amateur radio call sign is N3MRA.
This entry was posted in Practicing Concepts, Predictions, Satellite Imagery and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.