Tropical Update: 8/11/17

It is time for another tropical update.

In the Atlantic and Caribbean, the National Hurricane Center (NHC) has shown that there is one threat area north of Puerto Rico.  This area stands a 40% chance of developing into a tropical cyclone over the next 48 hours, and a 60% chance over the next five days.


In the Eastern Pacific, Tropical Storm Jova churns over open waters.  Currently, it has a central low pressure of 1003 mb and 40 mph sustained winds.  It is over very warm water, but it is in a moderately sheared environment, and expected to weaken over the next few days.


There is a second area of potential development farther east.  Currently, the NWS has given it a 30% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone over the next 48 hours, but a 70% chance over the next five days.

The Central Pacific expects no tropical systems to develop in the next 48 hours.

Thank you for reading my post.

Satellite Imagery: NOAA – Satellite and Information Services
Hurricane Data:  National Hurricane Center, Central Pacific Hurricane Center, and the Joint Typhoon Warning Center


About highplainschasing

This blog is about my tales in storm chasing. My name is Seth Price and I am an instrumentation instructor at New Mexico Tech. My amateur radio call sign is N3MRA.
This entry was posted in Hurricane Tracking, Practicing Concepts, Predictions, Satellite Imagery and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.